Generally, our process will involve working with a high school Superintendent and/or Principal, and members of their guidance and counseling staff, to identify candidates who meet our criteria and express a definite interest in the Services we may provide. Through the counseling staff, students will self-identify late in their sophomore year so that we may select sponsored student(s) prior to the start of their junior year.
Our criteria includes at least the following:
- GPA of 3.5 and higher with projected class standing of top 10% (Student Scholars),
- Active involvement in school extracurricular activities including demonstrated leadership,
- Involvement in community activities would be a plus,
- Family income less than $60,000 (most college applications will require data for financial aid),
- Strong desire to attend a 4-year college or university,
- Top performance in athletics may result in other Support Services being provided, and
- Scholar-Athletes with a GPA of 3.2 and class standing of top 20% will be considered.
The Board of Directors of A Step Up to Achieve Inc. will select candidates to be chosen as sponsored students and may begin further qualification activities with these students and their families prior to start of the students’ junior years.